Today is December 31st 2012. Last day of the year 2012. Of course. Tomorrow will be the first day of the new year, 2013. Of course. So do you realise how lucky we all are because the Mayans didn’t get their predictions right?
Many people were quite jittery and nervous a few hours before 21.12.2012 but the PGA Tour knew the Mayans calculated wrongly, and that was the reason they had released the 2013 Tour Schedule a few weeks ago, ignoring what the Mayans had said.
The new season will start with the Hyundai Tournament of Champions (Hawaii) January 4th-7th, and end with the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola September 19th-22nd. There will be the President’s Cup on October 3rd-6th but that is not a regular tour tournament.
In the schedule you will also find the dates for the four majors:
- The Masters – April 11th-14th
- The US Open – June 13th-16th
- The Open Championship – July 18th-21st
- The PGA Championship – August 8th-11th
The “fifth” major, the PLAYERS Championship, will be held May 9th-12th.
And then, we will also be watching – with some nails to bite – the following “knock-out” events leading to the FedEx Cup and its mouth-watering finale and to see who gets the bonus of US$10 million:
- The Barclays – August 22nd-25th
- Deutsche Bank Championship – August 30th-September 2nd
- BMW Championship – September 12th-15th
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola – September 19th-22nd
And that’s it, for the old-style 2013 season. “Old-style’?
Yes, “old-style”, because from then on, a season will no longer be defined according to the calendar year (January to December). The PGA Tour have changed a “season” to mean an overlapping of two years. Thus it will be called “2013/2014”, “2014/2015” and so on.
Accordingly, for the new season of 2013/14, the events have been announced as follows:
- Oct 7th-13th — Frys.com Open
- Oct 14th-20th — Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
- Oct 21st-27th — CIMB Classic (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Oct 28th-Nov 3rd — World Golf Championship-HSBC Champions (Shanghai)
- Nov 4th-10th — The McGladrey Classic
- Nov 11th-17th — OHL Classic at Mayakota (Mexico)
Yesssss….. the CIMB Classic!! Did you notice that?
Malaysians will take pride with the inclusion of CIMB Classic in the official schedule, for the first time. This will start from the 2013/2014 season. It will be an official money event where players will be competing for official money, money that will count towards FedEx Cup placings, and for points which will go into the the official world ranking calculation. No more a “show event”. So CIMB Classic will be even more interesting to watch next October. Don’t miss it.
So, only these events for 2013/2014 season? Of course not. The PGA Tour said they will be announcing the rest of the tournaments at a later date. So please stay tuned.
Happy New Year, may you be truly happy always, and your golf gets better and better!!