After the end of the Maybank Malaysian Open (MMO) golf tournament in Kuala Lumpur on March 24th last Sunday, won by Thai Kiradech Aphibarnrat, there are no Malaysians in the Top 10 of the Asian Tour Order of Merit which right now stands as follows (winnings in US dollars):
- Kiradech Aphibarnrat (Thailand) $594,230.00
- Gaganjeet Bhullar (India) $262,648.57
- Liang Wen-chong (China) $175,909.00
- Baek Seuk-hyun (Korea) $122,998.50
- Joonas Granberg (Finland) $80,812.83
- Anirban Lahiri (India) $74,124.00
- Scott Hend (Australia) $72,915.00
- Chawalit Plaphol (Thailand) $70,971.00
- Jeev Milha Singh (India) $58,305.00
- Berry Henson (USA) $54,526.50
So far Malaysian professionals have not fared very well. None of them yet to be listed among the Top 20 (the 20th spot is currently occupied by the Bangladesh pro, Siddikur Rahman).
The best Malaysian is at No.35, Danny Chia. He has pocketed a total of US$15,620.00 after playing in three events. Not bad (the money), although he is well below Singaporean Mardan Mamat who is at No. 24. Next best is at No.56, S. Murthy,(US$6,187) then come Nicholas Fung (No.109, US$960) and Shaaban Hussin (113, US$885).
We believe our Malaysian players can do and will do better in the coming months. Just watch this space!