PLAYERS Championship Day 2, just like any other tournament, is the day for half of the players in the field jostled for positions to escape the Missed Cut, the MC.
The cut line for the day? Even Par. So a player had to score a 2-day total of 144 to stay and continue into the final two days.
But first, a few of the names at the top:
- Sergio Garcia – Yes, isn’t it a nice surprise to see him do well here this time? He shot 68-65 = 133. That is 11-Under.
- Tiger Woods – why should we be surprised? 67-67 = 134. 10-Under. Just one shot behind Garcia.
- Lee Westwood – 9-Under, 69-66.
- Matt Kuchar and Adam Scott both at 7-Under 137.
- McIlroy is doing fine at 6-Under.
Roberto Castro, the Day 1 leader with a marvelous score of 9-under without a single bogey, is no more on top of the pack. After that marvelous 68 to tie the course record, he went all over the course, enjoyed himself, and came back with a 78. One birdie (Par 5), 5 bogeys, one double-bogey (Par 4).
But he is not that bad; at least he is still among the 77 players who will play Saturday and Sunday.
Other more famous names had missed the cut. Names such as Phil Mickelson (72-73=145), Vijay Singh (74-71=145), Rickie Fowler (145), Ian Poulter (146). Also out: Justin Rose (146), Graeme McDowell, Ernie Els.
So, on with Day 3 now! (it’s currently in progress).